Monday, July 10, 2006

What's Beyond Luckbox?

Picking up where we left off.

I got up to a high water mark of about 45k about a level and a half before dinner break...and then the wheels slowly began to come off. I raised with JT, and got called by Karina Jett in position. The flop was J high, and I check called a bet. I checked a blank turn and made a pretty bad call of another bet by Karina. The river checked through and I lost to QJ. A little while later a big stack raised the button, and I defended my BB with J9o. As the flop was dealt Sirio (David Cossio, a good player and friend) stopped by the table to tell me about a hand another friend of mine, Rizen, played at the final table. The flop was AK6 rainbow, and I checked and my opponent made a standard continuation bet. I thought that a check-raise by me here would be pretty believable since I was talking to a friend, and most people pretty much just play there cards when they are distracted. The button promptly reraised me. Oops. Usually I dont stall when I know im folding, but there are some times when I don't want my opponents to know im capable of making a pure bluff. So I spent about 30 seconds pondering whether or not I would call the 3-bet with A6, decided I probably wouldnt, and then folded my complete air. Then, thankfully, dinner came at exactly the right time.


After dinner, I had decided to buckle down, and not get out of line, since my image was off the charts bad. The cards decided not to let me though. I raised TT, and once again Karina called right behind me. The flop was KK4, and I check called. The turn was low and it went check check. The river was a J and we went check check again, and I lost to QJo. Then I raised the button with KJ, and David Mathew (of WPT Championship fame) moved all-in for like 6 million BBs. I folded. Next orbit I raised the button again, this time with AK, and he called. I missed and decided to try and check it down, and either catch a card or win at showdown. He rivered a J though, and won with KJ. Eventually I was whittled all the way down to about 11k when we made the money. By that time Dave Mathew had managed to blow off a huge stack by getting all-in with a massive overbet against a preflop raiser with A8 on a 877 board. The raiser had A7. Needless to say I don't think Dave Mathew plays particularly well.

Well, with 9k in the money, good things started to happen. With the blinds at 400/800 the same big stacked button (BSB) raised and I jammed from the BB with AA. He went into the tank, and I did everything I could to vibe weakness at him. It worked and he called with JTo and I doubled up. I chipped up to 24k and the blinds went to 600/1200/a200, when the BSB once again raised my BB from the button. I had 89o and figured he'd fold a lot. He probably would, but this time he had KK. The flop came J7x and provided a glimmer of hope. When a 9 turned, I was pretty sure I was going to win the hand. And sure enough I nailed a T on the river to fill my gutshot. That put me at around 50k and left the former BSB at 35k or so. After the hand, there was much discussion. Rafi Amit inquired as to wheter or not I looked at my cards. I said yes, and he immediately said, "why?" It was quite funny. I also achieved another poker mile stone when Mike Matusow called me an internet donkey from the next table. I respectfully pointed out that while I might be an internet donkey, I was also a lifetime winner on the internet, unlike him. He shutup.


That same orbit the former BSB limped UTG. I raised to 4k in mp with KK and he called. We saw a Q83 two diamond flop, and the FBSB now check-raised me all-in. I called fairly quickly, but was in bad shape against his set of 3s. Well, I was briefly in bad shape, but then a K rivered...and the pour FBSB instead of having a monster stack was out, and I had over 90k. I proceeded to bust a british pro with A9 against his J9, and Rafi Amit with 99 v A6 and I ended a quite crazy first day with 115k in chips...good for 4th out of the remaining 39 players.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home