Friday, February 03, 2006

A Non-Poker Interlude

I used to be a really cultured person. Most people who knew me would call me a movie buff. My Sr. year of High School I ended up running a film series for my friends. I compiled a list of movies I hadnt seen, but felt I should, and started watching them. Field of Dreams wasn't on the list, but if I watched it, they would come. Roughly once a week my friends would join me in whatever I was watching. I spent summers reading books that I felt I should have read at some point in me HS but didnt. I loved broadway, and saw lots of shows (both musicals and dramas). I'm still fairly cultured. I can have an intelligent conversation about this year's Oscar nominations, but I havent seen the vast majority of them. I haven't read a book that wasn't crap in 3 months (Sex Drugs and Coacoa Puffs being the last one, and it was fantastic), although I have several lining my shelves.

So, starting now, I'm getting back on the culture (pop and otherwise) bandwagon. To begin with I'm knocking down a couple of books that I should have read already. First, Freakonomics. Honestly I don't think there could be a book more geared towards me. After that comes Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Movies may or may not follow. I have a feeling once I get the ball rolling it will be easy to keep it in motion. Anybody who wants to suggest books or movies feel free.

5 Comments:

Blogger Enrique TreviƱo said...

For movies I recommend "Ran" by Akira Kurosawa, it is a great film, filmed in 1985 based on King Lear. For recent movies I recommend "A History of Violence" by David Cronenberg.
For books: If you like sci-fi and you haven't read Dune, read it, it is great. For other fiction, I liked "Roscoe" and "Flaming Corsage" by William Kennedy very much.
If you like historical novels, I recommend "Persian Boy" by Mary Renault (about Alexander the Great) and "Julian" by Gore Vidal (about the Roman Emperor Julian).

2:46 AM  
Anonymous eric said...

I'd say go with "Midnight's Children" by Salamin Rushdie (not sure about the spelling of his name).

He's a great writer, and his books are so controversial that he had to go into hiding for a while because a Muslim leader had issued a Fatwa against him, demanding his death.

In terms of movies, a great one that often gets overlooked is SLEUTH. I believe it's the only movie to ever have two people both nominated for Best Actor from the same film. Incredible movie, will f**k with your head.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Just read Freakonomics, cool book. Interesting to see economics/statistics applied to such topics. Very quick read.

Also, I've recently read the highly controversial "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. I really liked this book. The writing style was very unique and simple. At times it felt like you were reading his unfiltered thoughts, which was cool. Despite all the fact vs. fiction bull that he has been on Oprah for, still an entertaining and enlightening book.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for worthwhile fluff, try Wedding Crashers, Casanova, The Producers.

If you like sci fi, tolerable are Aeonflux and Serendipity? (can't recall title!) the latter getting better reviews...

Best performance by an actress, try Junebug, Amy Adams nails her part.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Bambi said...

I'm sure I've said this before, but Snow Crash and The Diamond Age are awesome books. Other good (non-sci-fi) books that I'd recomend are The Odd Sea, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Both are short (I read each in two days) but good.

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home