Sunday, February 19, 2006

LA Bust Out

The first level of day 2, I have 37k with the blinds at 300/600 a75. A player who I think is pretty tight raises UTG+1 to 1800. I call in MP with 34 of clubs. This call is pretty marginal at best and a preflop fold is probably better. The raiser would either have to be very tight, or we would both need to be deeper for this call to be good. Generally though I have success playing nonconventional hands, so I can get carried away. Anyway, I call and a player in LP calls, both blinds fold. The flop comes KT8 with the T8 of clubs, giving me a small flush draw. The original raiser leads for about 6k, although from the way he was acting I didnt think he liked his hand. I have 35k and decide to raise (among other reasons it was because the villain in this hand only had me covered by about 10k, so playing a big pot with me will cripple him). I make it 15k, leaving myself with 20k behind. The LP player folds, and the original bettor immediately moves all-in. My hand is obviously no good at this point, but Im way priced-in to try and hit my flush. I call expecting to see AA/KK/AK from my opponent, but lo and behold he flips over K6 of hearts.

How he puts that many chips in with that hand there I have no idea. That may seem like sour grapes, because after all he has the best hand, but in fact even though he got the money in with the best of it, he clearly made a bad play here. When he decides to reraise me, and put me all-in he doesn't know what i have. Even if its possible I have a flush draw (which obviously it is) the other hands I might have are crushing K6s, specifically AK/TT/88, all of which I would play in the exact same manner. So, against my range of possible hands he is way behind, even though he got lucky here in that the hand in that range I have is the flush draw, and I don't hit. Oh well, gg me I suppose.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call that bet on the flop. Or move all in if i'm feeling particularly aggressive. I hate the bet that forces you to call the raise that you know is coming.
But what do I know, I play cash games.

2:35 PM  
Blogger gaamblor said...

considering that your range includes the 3c-4c i don't think its correct to say your range is crushing his top pair bad kicker here

after the flop bet there's about 13k in the pot and you have 35k left. I agree with the 1st commenter, the worst thing you could possibly do is make a raise that commits all of your chips without actually betting all your chips

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two commenters here are dead wrong about moving all-in being the best play on the flop. There are many reasons why a smaller raise is better here. I will give one and allow the reader to come up with others.

Moving all-in with a flush draw on this flop has no balance. That is, given Mike's comments, there is no other hand that he would play that way (save for maybe a 15-outer). As such, it becomes very obvious that Mike has a flush draw and his opponent can make many marginal calls. With the small raise, Mike's range is much larger (and indeed does have the PFR crushed), so a smaller raise actually INCREASES Mike's fold equity in addition to providing a number of ancillary benefits.

This reminds me of a hand I saw on Live at the Bike a while back. Phil Laak raised several limpers from the SB w/ QQ and Jean-Robert Bellande called in LP w/ A8h or something like that. Flop was Kxx with two hearts. Laak checked, Bellande moved in for a large overbet, and Laak called. Everyone seemed to think it was a sick call, but it wasn't. There is no hand that Bellande would play like that besides a flush draw. Later, in the interview, he said he'd play top pair exactly that same way, which was laughable, since he obviously never would. Balance is everything in NL.

12:10 PM  
Blogger MLG said...

Thank you second anon. person whoever you are, that pretty much sums up my point. If you aren't going to move in with your sets and AK here then you better not be moving in with your draws.

To Gamblor, just because my range includes some flush draws does not mean on balance its behind K6. It isnt (especially when you consider the relatively few flush draws I can wake up with since AQ/AJ with the flush draw are ahead of him).

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second anon = Justin (from Atlantis)

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, if you're playing Phil Laak, you can make that "in between" raise. But for some random shmuck, I gaurantee he folds to an all in more often than a small raise. Your raise was perfect for enticing him to come over the top of you.
Of course, I don't like any raise in this situation, but an all-in is better.

1:37 PM  
Blogger MLG said...

Justin, glad you read the blog, and thanks for explaining my point. You going to Foxwoods for the next WPT?\ there?

Anon. person who doesn't like my play (I assume you're the same person in both). Why in the world do you think my raise entices him to come over the top. Name one hand that I could have that raises to 15k and folds to a push.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home