Friday, February 10, 2006

Fear and Loathing and a Bookstore

It is simply impossible to explain Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to anybody who hasn't read it. I enjoyed it, despite finding it completely incomprehensible at points (not in that astounding depth incomprehensible way, but rather in that these words in this order dont normally appear in the english language way). Anyway, if have you havent read it, your missing out on a pretty culturally important (for some reason or other) work, that is if nothing else bizzarely entertaining.

Next up on the list are some things I picked up at the bookstore today. I went to the bookstore without a plan, which is always dangerous for me, because generally I end up with stuff I don't really want, or Sci-Fi/Fantasy crap which is exactly like most of the other Sci-Fi/Fantasy crap ive already read. Today was successful, however. I picked up Satanic Verses and Tales of an Economic Hit Man, both of which I've sort of been meaning to read. Also, I got The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. Greene wrote The Elegant Universe, which I read about 5 years ago and really enjoyed. He's kind of Stephen Hawking-esque in his ability to break down interesting scientific ideas for the masses. Finally a got a book called The End of Faith, which deals with reason and religion. Im affirmatively excited by all of them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if you can post your book list of books youve read/are looking to read. I am very interested in the books you have posted so far and would be great if I could see some books that might not be on my radar but should be.

-AC-

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fear and lothing is a very good book- i've never been so inspired to fly to vegas on a drug binge. i compromised though and enjoyed a mushroom trip to foxwoods with friends instead. one thing they NEVER mention in the book is- hangovers....how they could function for a few days of this is a complete mystery. We felt like heros for 10 hours- and then spent the next 2 days recovering.

5:07 PM  
Blogger drich said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous burningyen said...

It's nice to see someone reading a book that doesn't deal with poker. I highly recommend Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home