Thursday, January 26, 2006

Table 2

Table 2 was a complete roller coaster. I got up to 15k by flopping trips against Arnold Spee my first hand at the table. My second hand I got JJ and won the blinds. 3 hands lateer I limped UTG with AQs and called a push from the BB. He had QQ and I shipped 3500 over. That was it for good hands. I managed to get all the way down to 4500 without ever seeing a turn card. I don't really remember how. I got reraised small a couple of times, and had to call only to fold on the flop. I raised preflop, fired on the flop and got check-raised and forced to fold a couple of times too. Anyway, I sucked out on JJ with 77 to get back to 10k all in the space of one level. I spent the 100/200 level fluctuating between 8k and 11k without really playing an interesting hand. Well actually I guess this hand was kind of interesting. 3 limpers to me and I make it 1200 with KQo. Spee calls on the BB and all the limpers fold. Flop is 743 high 2 spades, Spee checks, I bet 2500 into the 3k pot, and Spee pushes. He has 3175 more. I start thinking about what hands Spee could call 1k with preflop when his stack was only about 7500. Certainly it wasnt anything that could fit this flip like 56 or 75 or somethinkg equally speculative. A set of 7s was possible, but unlikely. I thought his most like holdings were 88-JJ, which created an interesting situation. I did a quick estimation in my head. Against a middle PP I would win almost exactly 1/4 of the time or 25%. I had to call about 3k more which meant that if there was 9k in the pot I would have to make the call. I did the math, and there was 8700 and change in the pot, and I needed to call 3100. Thats not quite the 3:1 I needed, although if /i widened his range to include hands like J10 of spades I could certainly justify the call. Those hands just didnt feel right, and I decided to make a tight fold.

After another 15 min break I experienced what Im going to call the BL (Borgata Leap). The BL is going from 100/200 no ante to 200/400 a25. I quickly ran my stack to 15k busting Spee in the proccess. I raised to 1200 in EP with AQo. Spee called the 1200 with 2400 left behind. The flop was KQx with two diamonds. I checked, he checked. The turn wasw a blank, I checked and he pushed, I called fairly quickly gettind 2:1 and he turned over A10s. I hate his preflop call here. Then I defended my SB against an aggresive EP raise to 1400 with 78 of hearts. The flop was 1094 with two clubs. I led for 2k intending to push if he raised. He folded though. I dribbled back down to 11k when the blinds went up to 300/600 a50 without playing a meaningful hand. Then a very tight player limped UTG, a very loose but not bad player limped in LP after staring at the limp suspisciouly and I checked in the BB with A3 of hearts. The flop came A103 with two clubs. I checked intending to check raise, but both UTG and LP checked as well. This surprised me. The turn was an ugly K of clubs. I bet 1500 into the roughly 2k pot, and LP called. The river blanked, and I check called 2k. He flipped over QJo and for the second time in the day I was heart by a player making a gutshot broadway (of course this time he didn't play it badly). That left me with 6k and in push or fold mode. I pushed once with AJ and picked up the blinds. Then the next hand I picked up KQ and pushed over a big stack limp. He called with AQ and I went home.

5 Comments:

Anonymous emily said...

i actually understood most of that, you should be proud! oh, and btw, i would hope that anyone reading this would know that 1/4 is the same as 25%.
-em

9:52 PM  
Blogger jason said...

I played with Spee at the WSOP Main Event. I was not impressed (of course, that's prolly because he sucked out on me big time). I was able to read him pretty well, and his actions were largely transparent to me.

I hope you keep posting regularly, as it's always entertaining reading.

12:52 AM  
Blogger jason said...

Ah, yes, one last thing... are you playing the Main Event? The only other 2+2er I know that's playing is Nordberg, and he's only very occasionally a 2+2er.

12:53 AM  
Blogger MLG said...

Im not playing the ME, unless I bust out of the 2500 early and then win a seat.

1:18 AM  
Anonymous ZeKGB said...

Enjoyed reading that Mike. Bad luck on the A3 hand, no worse feeling than having it check through and having one of the ugly cards hit the turn....

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home