Monday, January 23, 2006

Kobe and 81

The Comedian Eddie Izzard has a bit where he talks about killers. It goes, when you kill one person we lock you up in jail. If you kill 10, you get a small room with white padded walls and a nice little slit to look through. If you kill 100,000 though we're almost impressed. 100,000 people eh? You must have gotten up awfully early in the morning to accomplish that. That's how I feel about Kobe Bryant. I think he's selfish, he doesn't make his teammates better, and really he couldnt care less about winning as long as the world thinks he's great. I mean, MJ never scored 81 points in a game, and I promise its not because Kobe is better. Here's the thing though, Kobe is just so good, its impossible not to be impressed. I mean, 81 points is just mind boggling. Its incomprehensible. Reaslistically speaking, 50 is a heroic accomplishment, 30 is a very good game. He did both. Im on the East Coast, and didnt watch the game, and I cannot comprehend how he did it. Its like hitting 6 home runs in a game, or rushing for 350 yards. When you sit down to watch a sporting event its not even within the realm of possibility, not remotely. If you watch the Lakers, maybe you say, I'll put the game on to see if Kobe goes off for 45 tonight that would be incredible. Even though I think the Lakers would be better if Kobe averaged 5-10 less points because it would translate into 20 more points for his teammates (and maybe Lamar Odom wouldnt have to spend the whole season looking like Kobe just kicked his dog), how can you fault a guy when he can score that much. Its like Eddie Izzard said, it may be wrong, but you cant help it, you're in awe.

So, this is my second post today. The blog is a fun new toy for me, so I'm sure the posts will come fast and furious for a while. We'll see what happens when the new car smell wears off.

4 Comments:

Blogger Schaefer said...

Glad to see that you've joined the dark side. Blogging can be very addicting at times but there are long stretches where you don't feel like writing at all. I'm so effing amped about the Super Bowl. I bought my tickets to Detroit yesterday and now I just need to find game tickets. They're $600+ face value but I think it's worth it.

Hope you keep this up. Say hi to your better half for me.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Hey Brandon...
Saying hi back, and hoping you have an amazing time at the superbowl, suffice it to say i am jealous you get to go. Hope all is well...
Jess (mikes better half)

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Bambi said...

I don't understand basketball, so I approach it in a very baseballish way. Because of this, I don't see what is so great about his game. I compared it to his last 5 (cause thats what yahoo showed me when i first looked) and percentage wise (fg%, 3pt%, and FT%) this game is pretty similar to his Jan 16th game. The only difference is that in this game had twice as many tries at everything, so he accumulated more points. But presumably if he had not had those tries, someone else on his team would have. So the only difference between this amazing game and his really good game was the number of times he got the ball. And what's so special about that? I'm sure that there is something about basketball that I'm missing here, but anyways, color me not that impressed.

3:19 AM  
Blogger mnlgrind said...

It's Team Kobe and the Lakers, hats off to him cause he's really awesome but I don't think he can bring the Lakers anywhere near the Finals, conference finals? maybe...

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home